Travel Update: Sleeping Safely In Sarnath

Tibetan MonkI'm alive!!! It's a happy day here on the Tibetan New Year in Sarnath (the birthplace of Buddhism.)

I got sick again with a short fever, followed by a painful stomach bug and then a wicked cough. I went to the doctor and got 4 kinds of medicine. Wow. And, the entire visit to the doctor (with medicine) cost 135 rupees or about US$3. I spent two whole days in bed, mostly sleeping.

Today I'm feeling great, with a little cough still. And, I found out that while I was sleeping, a bomb went off in Pune, India! Terror alerts went into effect in parts of India after the attack. Don't worry, I'm no where near any of it, and unless the Chinese decide to attack the Tibetan 17th Karmapa, I don't foresee any terrorist attacks in sleepy little Sarnath any time soon. It's nice knowing that Buddhism seems to do a great job keeping it's hands clean of holy wars.

The attack, however, was at a favorite German Bakery of many backpacking budget travelers. I'm told they served great cappuccinos (which are hard to find in India). So, I guess there is some cause for concern. But still, I think I'd have a greater chance of getting hit by a speeding bus in the insane road traffic here than being victim of a terrorist attack.

Feeling the great joy of being alive this morning, I was fortunate enough to go see the 17th Karmapa! They had a wonderful little new year's celebration on the lawn to entertain him (or bore him, as was sometimes the case.) I got some incredible photos and had such a fun time enjoying the celebration. It felt incredibly intimate with probably about 100 people there at most, especially considering that this guy is a sort of celebrity in Tibetan Buddhism. Everyone was smiling.

The internet in Sarnath is very slow, and there are only a few computers that seem to be quite busy with travelers, so unfortunately I won't have any photo uploads for a while.

Also, I wrote a bunch in my journal on the bus ride from Bodh Gaya, so I've got a backlog of Blog material to type up. Blogging will just be a wonderful practice in patience.

My plans have changed again (which makes me wonder why I use the word "plans" anyway?) Actually, there is no plan right now. But, I was planning to continue my Buddhist pilgrimage to Kushinigar (where the Buddha died) and then to Lumbini, Nepal (where the Buddha was born.) These four sites in all make up the traditional Buddhist pilgrimage. Then, I was going to do some more meditation in Lumbini at a center there called Panditarama-Lumbini.

Two things have made me reconsider. One, my health. Two, there is a new regulation that just went into effect with Indian visas. Now, the law states that a person must leave India for at least 2 months before returning. Since there were more things that I wanted to do in India, I might just stay here for a few months before heading into Nepal, or wherever the next destination may be.

Three (ok, three things made me reconsider)... I found out about a retreat that I might be interested in for more meditation. It's a long retreat in the foothills of the Himilayas. Plus, visiting the Himilayas has been a dream of mine for a long long long time.

I'm also considering taking a break at a yoga ashram just to take care of my health. But, still meditation is my first priority, and trekking and yoga will fit in if the "plans" make it fit.

Anyway, that's my update for now. Mostly, I wanted to let you all know that I'm safe and sound, and I'll be in Sarnath for at least 5 more days or so.

Happy Losar! Happy Tibetan New Year!
Oh, woops, I just looked online and saw this article: "Dalai Lama urges Tibetans not to celebrate New Year" apparently in solidarity with those in Tibet who won't be celebrating.
So... send your blessings, instead, to all the people around the world who don't have the luxury of celebrating holidays (there are a lot!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment