Travel Update: Resting in the Clouds

Guesthouse, Mcleod Ganj, IndiaAfter three days of strenuous travel and more debilitating illness, I've finally arived in the beautiful mile-high village of Mcleod Ganj. Just up the hill from Dharamsala, Mcleod is set at the entrance to the Dalai Lama's residence.

It is beautiful here, and exactly what I was looking for. There are cool mountain breezes, many fun shops, and quite unbenownst to me, the Dalai Lama will be coming in just two days! And, he's giving a teaching on the Jataka Tales on Feb 28th.

I found a room for 100 ruppees (about $2.50) per day, and already found my favorite momo lady. (Momo's are the Tibetan and Nepalese version of the potsticker). Four Momos for 10 rupees cooked fresh on the street. I think I'm dreaming!

I'll share a quick note on the health front. The trip from Varanasi to Dharamsala took about three days altogether. I ended up getting very sick in Pathankot (I think from the train food). I didn't think I'd have the energy to get on a bus and make the six hour treck to Mcleod Ganj, but I sure didn't want to stay in Pathankot. So, I pushed on. I thought I would be paying for my impatience, but actually, I woke up this morning feeling tons better. I'm still healing, and adjusting to the altitude, but I'm planning to stay for at least a couple weeks without going anywhere or stressing about anything.

As always, I will write more soon when I have the time, but I wanted to keep you all posted on my whereabouts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment