Photos from Losar and More

17th Karmapa Funny FaceI've finished uploading all my photos from Bodh Gaya, Sarnath, and Varanasi. (Click to see!) I particularly wanted to share a couple of the Losar photos and Varanasi photos here on my blog before I move on to writing about Dharamsala. (By the way, I saw the Dalai Lama today, but that's another story) These first few photos are from Losar, the Tibetan New Year, where I saw the 17th Karmapa; the rest are Varanasi.

17th Karmapa Losar FirecrackersI've been in India for about six weeks now, though it seems like longer. I've had quite an adventure.

Karmapa - Losar, Sarnath, IndiaBodh Gaya and Sarnath were both inspiring destinations for my pilgrimage, with the power of living devotion that I witnessed. With every monk or nun that I see, with every color of robe, and with the ordinary Buddhists and meditators, I feel an instant kinship. I feel a sense of being fellow transcendental explorers, not limited by the labels of our various cultures, traditions, or upbringings.

Losar, Sarnath, IndiaVaranasi brought me closer to Hinduism and the Indian culture which has been a challenge at times. Sarnath is a quiet and spread out village on the outskirts of Varanasi. As my photo albums might suggest, it was slightly less photogenic than the historic big city itself.

Boatman, Varanasi, India.I enjoyed the colors and sights in Varanasi and the lack of auto traffic on the steps and alleyways that line the sacred Ganges river. But, two days was enough for me.

Varanasi Ghats, IndiaThe Dharma Gathering was fun, and the community a great support. Perhaps I make friends too easily, as it's taking some discipline to stay with the solitude and the inward journey (which has been even more colorful and full of treasures than the traveling itself.)

Varanasi street scene, IndiaI think the last six months of 2009 spoiled me, while I sat in the pristine hills of California. No matter where you go, it's hard to beat the dark red richness of the manzanita on a wet winter day. I still can't believe whatever winds of fate have sent me to India! What a place to be.

Holy Cow, Varanasi, India.
Daniel Johnson, Varanasi, India.I'm taking lots of time now in Mcleod Ganj for quiet contemplation, and I plan to do a short self-retreat of a few days. Later on in March, I'll be heading back into retreat again for forty days (oh yes, I'm meditation crazy!) at Sattal ashram which is about 18 hours bus ride from here.

Anyway, enjoy the photos, and feel free to comment either on my blog here or on my picassa albums.

0 comments:

Post a Comment