IMC Dharma Talk with Gil Fronsdal

Ferns, Abhayagiri MonasteryLast Monday, on my way up to Abhayagiri, I finally had a chance to stop in at the Insight Meditation Center, in Redwood City, CA. I'd been wanting to go to an event there for a while, since I've known many people who have attended classes and talks there and spoke highly of it. And it is Maria's (my stepmom) local Sangha in which she is very actively participating.

We sat for 45 minutes in meditation, and this was followed by a 45 minute question and answer period with Gil. As always, it was nice to have a group of people to sit with, and it was also nice to hear Gil field the questions. I don't remember much of the questions, but I know I had a good time. Gil has a very easy going demeanor and made some funny comments. One funny moment was when someone asked about all the "shoulds" in her life. She wanted to get away from all the shoulds. Gil was sure to point out that we don't need to eliminate the word "should" from the English language (although it can be quite oppressive for some). As an example, he said "If you want to go to pee, you should go to the bathroom... at least at IMC, you should... we have carpets!"

I think it's cool how Gil seems to be able to touch many people worldwide through his Audio Dharma, and other such resources. But, also the community has a very local feel to it. Those living close by could be quite grateful to have such a lively and supportive group.

I hope I'll have a chance to go back at some point, especially if Maria gives another talk there sometime, which I'd love to attend.

I'm writing a little something about my trip to the Monastery, too. I'll post it here with all my photos when I get a free moment (I'm a working man now, so not as much time! - but the job is also going well.)

Right now, I'm on my way to my storage unit to get everything out. Soon, I'll be giving most of the stuff away, or selling it. I can feel the fears and the clinging coming up as I consider getting rid of my "stuff." But... it's just "stuff," and it will be nice to know that I'm no longer holding a random closet full of junk hostage in Tracy, CA.

0 comments:

Post a Comment