Cup of Chowda!

Memorial Day FlagI was in the Boston area last weekend for Memorial Day, a family gathering, and my grandfather's memorial service. I posted the photos to my picasa album, so take a look! I'm back on my laptop and using Adobe's Lightroom to make my photos even cooler now (though I am slightly color blind, so please excuse any color abnormalities).

While on the East Coast, I got to see Lexington, Concord, Boston, Harvard, Cambridge, and of course, my mom's home town... Berlin, Massachusetts!

Church, Berlin MassachusettsThere's not much history of meditation or Buddhism in those parts, but I did pass very near to Walden Pond. H.D. Thoreau is a big inspiration for my recent decisions on where I would live and work for the next few months. While I was there, my mom picked up a book of Thoreau quotes and flipped to the following quote. It's from Walden, which has always been a favorite book of mine, and this particular passage really captured my sentiments well:
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
- Henry David Thoreau, Walden
I'm not going full wilderness comando style, but I do intend to live simply.

I really enjoyed seeing my family again. Most of them I hadn't seen in more than 15 years. And you know what... I really like them.

Family, MassachusettsMy uncle David said I'm "all religious." That gave me a good laugh.

As we were leaving, a man at the airport reminded us not to mistake the Bostonian "chaa-da" for "chow-da." The first referring to a charter flight (Chaa-da), and the second referring to a good cup of clam chowder (chow-da). Remember that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment