Last Words from Rishikesh...

Prudence, focused on meditation, stayed in her room for the majority of their stay. Lennon, who was worried that she was depressed, wrote this song for her, inviting her to "come out to play". Prudence explained years later that she was just trying to take Transcendental Meditation seriously. She said in Mojo magazine: "They were trying to be cheerful, but I wished they'd go away. I don't think they realized what the training was all about." - History of the song "Dear Prudence", (Wikipedia)
I'm in Rishikesh, and to be honest, going to see the Beatles ashram was about equally moving for me as seeing where the Buddha attained enlightenment.

Bodh Gaya was a little detached because there is a huge temple and thousands of pilgrims - not at all like the forest solitude which must have appealed to the Buddha 2500 years ago. The Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Ashram, however, looks much today as I imagine it looked 42 years ago when the Beatles made their pilgrimage there. It's very easy to imagine them walking down to the water and bathing in the Ganges after writing one of the 48 songs they wrote while staying there.

John Lennon is definitely one of my heroes. Maybe that's why I feel so inspired here.

But, right now, I'm feeling a little bit more like Prudence. The crowds are flowing in to Rishikesh (and Haridwar) for the big bathing day tomorrow as part of the Kumbh Mela celebration. It's packed, and I'm going right into the heart of it this evening to get to the train station. Rumors are that vehicles can only get within 3-7 kilometers of the train station, and we'll end up having to walk the rest of the way through swarms of pilgrims. I've got a couple travel buddies with me, though, to keep the spirits light.

Here's my own version of the song:
"Dr. Prudence,
Won't you stay inside and meditate... hey heyyy....

Dr. Prudence,
I like to meditate too... hoo hoo hoooooo....

Dr. Prudence,
I'm going to go meditate now.
For about 40 days... day hay hay hayyyy....."
John, please don't be mad at me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel. I love your photographs. May you find what you are not looking for. -- OJ

Aram said...

You should visit the Bamboo Grove in Rajgir.

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel,
I am happy You did it.
Did you jumped into the river? Was it helpful?
K u m b h M e l a- I love your american accent :).
You are probably back to america and I am here in australia. But it is nice to remember India. It was a good trip for me.
Good luck.

Olga (rus).

Daniel Johnson said...

OJ - Thanks!
Aram - sounds nice, maybe if I get back that way at some point.

Daniel Johnson said...

Olga - Koom Mellow! I'm still in India, hope you're enjoying life.

Post a Comment