Vipassana As Taught By S.N. Goenka

Dhamma Hall, CVC, North Fork, CA
"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." - Werner Heisenberg
Perhaps one of the most difficult things about meditation is how difficult it is to describe to others. If I could invite you along for the journey, I surely would. But, it's something that happens with eyes closed, in silence. How to describe silence? Well, all I can say is that it's a whole heck of a lot more than what you might expect.

For anyone interested in meditation, the only thing I would recommend is to do it. Find out for yourself. And, don't wait either. It's like nothing else we do as human beings.

As far as the tradition of S.N. Goenka, I thought it was wonderful. It is strict. It is tough. It is purpose oriented. It's also very simple. It's focused. It's alive. I'd love to say more than that, but I really get lost for words.

Goenka's centers have a huge bonus in that they are free to attend, and run entirely on the donations of students who have already attended at least one 10-day course. The other huge bonus is that they are all over the world!

I'll leave it at that for now. But, here's a great video of S.N. Goenka speaking at the U.N. Peace Summit. It's a wonderful look at his philosophy and teachings...



~ Be Happy ~

0 comments:

Post a Comment