A Bias Toward The Facts

I've come to a thrilling conclusion which may be reflected in my blog writing from now on and perhaps in my personality as well. The conclusion I've come to is a clear and unequivocal preference for... the facts. (Ah, it's nice to say.)

I know that Albert Einstein was quoted as saying “imagination is more important than knowledge,” and I am now clearly standing up to say “not for me, it isn't.” This may come as a surprise to some who know me because that used to be one of my favorite quotes. And, perhaps if one wants to win the Nobel prize for theoretical physics, then maybe “imagination is more important than knowledge.” I'm not interested in winning any prizes for my theories however, so I will stick to the facts.

So far what my experience shows is that for the sake of living a happy and harmonious life, for living peacefully with myself and with others, and for living in this world with some degree of sense and sensibility, then facts are most important and imagination is not even useful. Wow. I said it. And that's a fact.

To introduce my bias more formally, I will refer to that excellent resource – the dictionary - to elaborate a bit.
Fact (dictionary.com) 
 /fækt/
–noun
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.

2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.

3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
Facts have many advantages, given that they exist regardless of our opinions, beliefs, theories, and stances on them. What a relief it is to discover something so dependable. A fact is indisputable given that it is so easily confirmed through one's sensory experience. What a relief to discover such consistency. And, a fact is nothing personal, so there's no need to take offense.

One of the most challenging facts for a human being, is the fact of our own mortality. We are all going to die. But, look... it's dependable, it's consistent, it's indisputable, and bottom line... it's nothing personal. Hmmm...

Here's another fact:
Two-hundred and fifty million year-old bacteria, Bacillus permians, were revived from stasis after being found in sodium chloride crystals in a cavern in New Mexico... it is the oldest living thing ever recorded.

A Great Basin Bristlecone Pine (Pinus longaeva) called Prometheus was measured by ring count at 4,862 years old when it was felled in 1964. This is the greatest verified age for any living organism at the time of its killing.

- wikipedia
Certainly, the facts will continue to make an appearance here on this blog as I continue to explore this whole business called being alive. I invite you to join me in welcoming the facts, and perhaps we can explore together. What a wonder it is to be alive. Yet, there it is, a plain fact, as plain as day... we are alive now. And, there's no arguing that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment